there’s been numerous concerns to the handbook about presenting a couple of guinea pigs
That are the most readily useful male/female cavy fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the essential dilemmas in their social everyday lives. I really hope this informative article will causes things effortless them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want multiple guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are extremely animals that are social it will always be suggested they reside with one or more another cage mate. Having just one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how enough time spent because you are not (presumably, as you are reading this) of a cavy species, but human – which just doesn’t cut it with him or her. We don’t talk their language, although we could mostly know very well what are they attempting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less wondering, less vocal, less active, less funny. It isn’t normal in order for them to live without the other of the sort.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perhaps also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever cage that is choosing, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – because there are lots of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood pet shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, since you can save yourself the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely is determined by your location that is geographical and pig population.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in cases where a guinea pig is just a boar or perhaps a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of a male animal. It comprises of eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It consist of an elimination of a sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or perhaps a part that is considerably large. It really is a serious and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both neutering and spaying are medical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. These are typically mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is far better to save lots of the people which occur then to reproduce brand new people.
If having an option, always neuter your male guinea pig. The procedure is much more difficult for feminine guinea pigs. Constantly consult with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You have to be 100% sure you understand the intercourse of the guinea pigs. There are numerous great pages for this, like with this website website link. If you’re nevertheless uncertain concerning the gender, ask your veterinarian. Don’t count on the given information provided to you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big sufficient cage – you will find the minimal suggested measurements regarding the guinea pig cages page.
- If having two men, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these might have “his very own stuff”.
- The cage and all the cage add-ons should always be washed vinegar that is using to get rid of all past scents. Rearranging the cage interior can also be suggested to get rid of the prevailing touch” that is“personal.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage from the brand new comer. Like that the newbie would smell like a somewhat user associated with herd.
- Quarantine period for the guinea pig that is new. Your brand new guinea pig could carry some health problems which may incubate for some time, and spread among your current cavies. Therefore, it is vital to quarantine your brand new guinea pig for at minimum fourteen days, therefore prospective health problems would show with time to avoid epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and always wash your hand after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are bought from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two infant guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig associated with gender that is same
- Neutered male and another or even more females
- Two females. It’s possible which they will never go along – depends upon their characters
- Two men could reside in harmony, but that is dependent on a specific instance – again, from the character of this guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions rules and guidelines
- Whenever launching brand new guinea pig, never place your brand new guinea pig straight within the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very very first conference ought to be done regarding the big, enclosed “neutral ground” – somewhere beyond your cage, in a place this is certainly a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of the kitchen area or your bathroom.
- Spot a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center associated with the area.
- Put all of your guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, in the event they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all of this might happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring combined with swaggering stroll, etc. it really is a thing that is natural them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This may simply just take about a full hour; from then on, you need to nevertheless observe them for the next handful of hours.
- Following the period that is observingabout 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear more comfortable with each other. It is possible to spot them in the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour into the cage for the next time period, simply to be certain they truly are okay.
- When they don’t appear to get on after their time together committed in the ground that is neutral read further. When they begin to get physically aggressive and fight, you need to put a towel during the aggressive one and separate one from another.
6. Let’s say they don’t go along?
It’s possible that your particular guinea pigs won’t get along, regardless of what you will do and exactly how very very carefully you’ve got browse the guidelines with this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works this way.
Should this happen, you will have to have them divided for some reason. The most sensible thing doing would be to have them near sufficient so that they could see, smell and communicate with each other, but are divided with a few form of a partition. They’re nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity will be a tremendous amount for them.