Research Fact Sheets – cell phone ownership within the United Stated
Smartphone ownership when you look at the United Stated has increased over time 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with males (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) are generally used among MSM to satisfy partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones combined with the typical usage of apps to locate intimate partners led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan along with his collaborators to review the relationships between app usage and intimate health among MSM.
Characterizing App Utilize
Among an example of young MSM that are black in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and brand brand brand New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who utilized apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals used on average 8.2 various apps and invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. Although a minority (17%) utilized apps to get intimate partners, the common wide range of “app-met partners” with who they involved with insertive sex had been 1.19; nearly 1 / 3rd regarding the encounters had been condomless. Also, over 25 % of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of these partners that are app-met. High amounts of condomless intercourse and absence of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk taking among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among application making use of MSM ended up being examined using a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets pertaining to app usage and investigated the partnership between these facets and intercourse that is condomless. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever alcohol that is using51.1%) as soon as utilizing any drugs (25.9%). Individuals were more prone to take part in both insertive and receptive sex that is condomless apps had been getting used when utilizing any medications or when making use of apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Utilize
Apps have shown their usefulness that is potential among and healthcare providers seeking to reduce steadily the danger of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV evaluation. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention had been higher those types of reporting current binge ingesting and present club medication use 7.
Current geosocial-networking applications have now been utilized to produce HIV-related interventions 8 and have the prospective to be utilized for other health that is MSM substance usage, intimate partner physical physical physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based health that is sexual targeting MSM ought to be developed, offered MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social networking Utilize Continues To Boost in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac The, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five various health conditions for homosexual and bisexual men: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a dating app that is mobile. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by males who’ve intercourse with guys through geosocial networking phone apps. Journal regarding the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking app use among young black colored males who possess intercourse with guys: A multi-city cross-sectional study in the southern united states of america. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking application that is smartphone and engagement in condomless anal sex among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with males whom utilize grindr. Sexual Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to utilize cell phone apps for HIV prevention https://bridesfinder.net/mexican-brides among males that have intercourse with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social media marketing Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Online Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more information, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work ended up being supported by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and ny University class of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The middle for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) can be an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on general general public health conditions pertaining to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU university of worldwide Public Health 665 Broadway, 11th Floor ny , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL