Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a secure and effective daily pill that may help reduce your danger of HIV illness. PrEP is a lot more efficient at stopping HIV invest the it each day
To get going on PrEP, confer with your regular medical practitioner or nursing assistant, or search for a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics offering PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right in my situation?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative people who’re prepared to simply take a regular pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Don’t always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently had a sexually transmitted illness (sti)
- Do have more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who has got intercourse along with other partners
- Have partner who may have HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Are attempting to conceive having a partner who may have HIV
- Have partner whom will not obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, medications or perhaps spot to remain
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
The medicines in PrEP stop the virus from spreading throughout your body, preventing an HIV infection if you are exposed to HIV. PrEP just works when you yourself have sufficient medicine within your body, which means you need certainly to simply take PrEP each day.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same safe medicines that many individuals with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the negative effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to take care of people who have HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any relative unwanted effects. For people who do, the absolute most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These signs frequently have better or go away in the month that is first of PrEP. Rare unwanted effects consist of renal or bone tissue dilemmas. Your medical professional or nursing assistant makes it possible to handle any negative effects.
Exactly how well does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who use the product at the least four times a week. Your HIV danger is much reduced invest the PrEP every single day.
Since PrEP ended up being introduced in 2012, it offers aided reduce new HIV infections across nyc.
I still have to use condoms if I take PrEP, do?
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance selection for those who do http://hotrussianwomen.net/mail-order-brides/ not use condoms each time they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
How do you simply simply just take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a product when a time, also on days you do not have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is prescribed by way of a nurse or doctor.
- Before starting PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test one to ensure that you don’t have HIV and therefore your kidneys and liver are healthy.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
For more information about what to anticipate whenever PrEP that is taking the consumer’s help Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it just just simply take for PrEP to your workplace?
Studies declare that you’ll want to just just take day-to-day PrEP for at minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you will be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides maximum security when you will be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It isn’t yet understood just how many times you will need to just simply take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How do I purchase PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
If you don’t have insurance or have actually a higher co-pay, perhaps you are entitled to a patient help system that will help pay money for PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. You are able to register as a low-cost insurance policy by calling 311.
Find out about your re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
Could I get PrEP if i will be an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status will not influence your capability to obtain PrEP. You are able to properly talk to staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may impact your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are younger than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to start out PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital will soon be private.
If you should be included in your moms and dads’ insurance coverage, it is possible to do something to avoid an “Explanation of Advantages” form from being delivered to your mother and father or policyholder. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this specific procedure.
Just exactly exactly How else may I remain HIV-negative?
- Learn about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. You’ll be able to phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to get going on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms normally as feasible. Discover the type and size of condom you want. Condoms are for sale to free in most five boroughs. To get our where you are able to get yourself a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, particularly during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the way that is only determine if you or even a partner has HIV.
- Speak to your lovers about assessment. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers concerning the final time they had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Help your lovers managing HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV getting HIV care and just just just take their medications every time, so that they continue to be healthy and never pass HIV to others.
- Get checked for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol if you have intercourse. Getting or drinking high if you have intercourse causes it to be difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For make it possible to cease using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you are able to get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for cisgender and transgender females when taken daily.
Women that have actually genital intercourse should be particularly careful to just take PrEP each and every day to keep medicine that is enough their vaginal muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Women that have intercourse with females and who can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth control?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP does not restrict hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you still need certainly to make use of birth prevention or condoms to avoid pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormone treatment?
No. There isn’t any proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the degrees of hormones within you. Analysis has unearthed that transgender women that just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Could I just just take PrEP while looking to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who are making an effort to conceive a young child having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe for the child and mother both during and after maternity, and it has maybe perhaps maybe not been proven to impact fertility.
If you’d like to just just simply take PrEP while wanting to conceive, consult with your physician. You might have to consult a professional for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP in this manner.